Pilates is a form of exercise which concentrates on strengthening the body with an emphasis on core strength. This helps to improve general fitness and overall well-being. Pilates Lurgan
Similar to Yoga, Pilates concentrates on posture, balance and flexibility. In Pilates the chance of injury is much lower than with other more strenuous forms of exercise.
Pilates also focuses on the mind-body connection. While doing the various exercises your mind needs to be constantly aware of your breathing and the way your body moves. Pilates Lurgan
Pilates can be modified to provide either a gentle strength training program or a challenging workout. It is suitable both for beginners and for people who already exercise regularly.
We offer one to one Pilates sessions and we run small semi private classes in our private gym. Classes run in 6 week blocks and there are only a max of 6 people in each class. Due to this classes fill up very quickly. Please contact us on 028 3834 1110, or visit our facebook page for information on our latest classes. Pilates Lurgan
What Health Benefits Can Be Obtained from Pilates?
As Pilates focuses on core strength, posture and flexibility the health benefits include: Pilates Lurgan
- Good posture – Pilates will teach you to gain and maintain good posture. The exercises require that your body is always in alignment. This is especially beneficial if you suffer from lower back pain.
- Muscle Tone – The exercises involve the use of muscles that you may not use on a daily basis. After the initial soreness, you’ll find that your muscles will be much more toned. This is especially good for older people and those who are normally quite sedate in their daily life as muscle tone is usually lost with age and inactivity.
- Flat abdominal muscles – Because Pilates focuses on strengthening your core which includes your abdominal muscles, you’ll find that one of the benefits of Pilates is that it will result in a flat stomach.
- Flexibility – As we age we tend to lose the flexibility we had when we were young. Pilates will restore your flexibility, gently at first of course. After a while though, you’ll be amazed at how much more flexible your body has become. This is especially important for avoiding injuries from falls.
- Improves your balance – Through the mind-body connection which is taught in Pilates you will become much more aware of how your body moves and performs. Therefore Pilates not only improves your physical balance through correct posture but will also restore your mind-body balance. Pilates Lurgan
- Reduces stress – When doing the exercises, you’ll be totally engrossed and won’t be able to think about all those responsibilities that weigh you down on a day to day basis. You’ll be more focused on your breathing and on the moves that you are making with your body. This is an excellent way to relieve stress.
- Gives you a general sense of well-being – Because Pilates focuses on providing balance between your mind and body it gives you an overall sense of well-being.
Will Pilates Help You to Lose Weight?
Because Pilates is a muscle strengthening form of exercise it can help you to trim and tone certain areas of your body especially your stomach, legs and buttocks. Classes can offer either a gentle exercise program for providing core strength, flexibility and balance or a complete workout for a more rigorous exercise program.
Bear in mind though that Pilates is not classed as an aerobic exercise, so for effective weight loss you should combine your Pilates exercises with a healthy diet and some regular aerobic activity such as walking, swimming or cycling.
What Areas of The Body Does Pilates Target?
Pilates works mainly on your core which includes your abdominal area and your spinal area. This is why Pilates can be extremely beneficial for people who suffer from lower back pain.
Other areas of your body that are strengthened and toned through Pilates include your legs, especially your upper thighs, and your buttocks. Pilates Lurgan
Pilates has also been useful for people who suffer from arthritis as it helps to keep your joints flexible. Because Pilates strengthens the thigh muscles this may be particularly useful in preventing arthritis and knee injuries. Pilates Lurgan
To return to the home page please click here.